Chocolate Ganache, Walnut Crumb & Marshmallow Creme
Can you guess which classic chocolate treat inspired this fancy but ridiculously simple dessert? That’s right, it’s the classic WALNUT WHIP! If you didn’t guess correctly or have never had one of these, you need to go out and buy a pack immediately as these are so underrated and an absolute favourite in the Poppy Cooks household and never last longer than a day.
My dessert has all the tasty elements – it’s got a smooth chocolate ganache, fine and crunchy walnut crumb, and a toasted marshmallow creme…OMG GET IN MY FACE. The best part is that there is actually barely any cooking so I’m not sure I can even call it a recipe tbh haha, maybe an assembly of ingredients with a bit of melting and blow torching involved is a better description? Ideal for those of you who want that fine dining feel but without all the faff.
If serving this to really impress, you’ll want to bring out ALLLL the presentation skills on this one. To give you that smooth oval shape to the chocolate ganache, a rocher or one-handed quenelle is the way to go. Check out my tutorial here. Next, make sure you’ve got varying degrees of bashed walnuts for a mix of textures and finally, bring out the blow torch for that marshmallow creme. This will give you that toasted flavour reminiscent of sitting round a campfire. Serve up on a flat plate and assemble as you see fit. I’m getting all warm and toasty just thinking about this.
If you’ve got any walnuts leftover at the end, whack them in an airtight container and these can be stored in the freezer for up to 12 months. Or, if you’d rather just eat them, give my coffee and walnut cupcakes or candied walnut and blueberry pancakes a go and keep that walnut love going.
Please tag me in your photos if you make this dessert because I love seeing all the different presentation styles with this one!!
- 3 1/2oz dark chocolate
- 100g dark chocolate
- 2oz milk chocolate
- 50g milk chocolate
- 3 1/2fl oz double cream
- 100ml double cream
- 2oz marshmallow creme, in a piping bag
- 50g marshmallow creme, in a piping bag
- 4oz walnuts, chopped
- 120g walnuts, chopped
- Grab a saucepan and bring the cream up to the boil, then take it off the heat.
- Place the chocolate into a bowl and then pour the hot cream over and stir until fully combined, melted and glossy.
- Place your mixture into a container to set or use the containers you want to serve it in, for example a martini glass or ramekin and leave in the fridge for an hour.
- When you are ready, spoon some of the marshmallow creme on to a plate (or on the pudding you’ve set) and if you have a blow torch, just colour it off slightly to give you that toasted flavour.
- Sprinkle over your chopped walnuts and watch as everyone is amazing by this simple dessert that tastes remarkably like a Walnut Whip...